Capitol Plaza Hotel Montpelier: Your Dream Vermont Getaway Awaits!
Capitol Plaza Hotel Montpelier: Vermont - A Rambling, Real-Life Review & Dream Getaway Pitch (Because Let's Be Honest, You Deserve This)
Okay, so you're thinking Vermont? Visions of crisp air, maple syrup waterfalls (okay, maybe not literal waterfalls), and that whole idyllic New England thing are dancing in your head. You've stumbled upon the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Montpelier, and the question is, is it really your dream Vermont getaway? Buckle up buttercup, because I'm about to spill some serious tea (and maybe accidentally spill some coffee on my keyboard – it's a real possibility). This isn't some polished brochure; it's a rambling, honest, and hopefully helpful guide to the place, warts and all.
First Impressions & The Awkward Elevator Ride (Accessibility - Let's Get Real!)
Right off the bat, let's talk about accessibility. Because let's face it, if you need it, you need it. The Capitol Plaza Hotel says they're accessible, and in a lot of ways, that's true. They've got elevator access (thank goodness), and that's a HUGE win. But I'm a nervous Nellie when it comes to elevators, they're small, make the odd groaning sound, and the buttons feel like they're from the Jurassic period. The elevator, well, let's just say it's seen better days. The ramps are there and they're pretty decent. They'll get you where you need to go, but it wouldn't hurt to have one of those "handicap accessible" stickers be a bit more noticeable.
Accessibility: Wheelchair Accessible is Great! (And Hopefully, The Future Will Be Even Better!)
Okay, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I was paying attention. Wheelchair accessible rooms are available, which is fantastic. That's a major plus! Having a place to stay that focuses on accessibility is huge, especially in a world where it's not always a given.
Rooms: My Safe Haven (Almost)
I spent way too much time in my room. The rooms are clean (major points!) and have all those things – air conditioning, a coffee/tea maker, a safe, a fridge, and Wi-Fi – the basic necessities. The internet access (both free Wi-Fi in all rooms and Internet [LAN]) was reliable, which is ESSENTIAL for someone like me who works remotely (or, you know, needs to binge-watch Netflix). The bed was comfortable (which is a deal-breaker for me). The blackout curtains are a godsend in New England summers. The daily housekeeping kept everything tidy.
I had a small issue one afternoon with the alarm clock - I swear the thing just died mid-afternoon, and I couldn't get it fixed. So, I think the place has a few, minor issues, but overall, the rooms are pretty nice.
Cleanliness & Safety: Sanitizing Mania (Thank God!)
Look, we're all a bit obsessed with cleanliness these days, right? The hotel gets it. They're doing the whole anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, rooms sanitized between stays, and all that jazz. They even have hand sanitizer everywhere. I saw some staff trained in safety protocol and there were signs everywhere, but they were all in English. Overall, I felt safe and comfortable. This is a big deal to me (and I suspect, to you, too!).
Dining, Drinking & Snacking: Fueling the Vermont Adventure (Or Just the Afternoon Nap)
Okay, the food situation… It's a complicated one. They do have restaurants. The hotel has a buffet, which can always be hit or miss, but there is room service [24-hour], so if you just want to stay in your room, you are good to go. The coffee shop is pretty good, and they serve great coffee. The poolside bar is nice. They serve a tasty soup in restaurant (and I had a killer salad in restaurant one afternoon).
Things To Do & Ways To Relax: Pamper Yourself (You Deserve It!)
Alright, let's talk about de-stressing. They've got a fitness center, a spa, and a sauna. Plus a swimming pool [outdoor], which had an awesome pool with a view. I didn't see the steamroom, but I was too busy by the swimming pool. The only negative is the massage was booked solid my entire trip. Book in advance!
Services & Conveniences: The Little Things Make a Difference
The hotel offers so many services: Air conditioning in public area, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Daily housekeeping, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Safety deposit boxes, Smoking area, Terrace, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens. It's impressive. I took advantage of the laundry service (because, again, messes). The concierge was super helpful with recommendations.
For the Kids: Family Friendly (Maybe?)
I don't have kids, but the hotel seems to be offering a Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, and Kids meal
Downsides? (Let's Be Honest!)
No hotel is perfect. The parking situation was a bit much, with the valet parking always being full. The building itself feels a little dated. The elevator made me nervous. There are no pets allowed.
My Verdict: Is Capitol Plaza Hotel Montpelier Your Dream Vermont Getaway?
Look, it's a solid choice. It's not a luxury resort, but it's comfortable, the staff is friendly, it's in a great location for exploring Vermont, and the safety measures are reassuring. It's definitely a good option for families, couples, pretty much everyone.
But here comes the real kicker…
THE OFFER (Because Dreams Need Discounts!)
Book your Vermont escape at Capitol Plaza Hotel Montpelier now and receive:
- 20% off your entire stay! Use code VERMONTDREAM20 at checkout.
- Complimentary Breakfast for Two! Wake up to a delicious spread to fuel your adventures.
- Free Upgrade to a Room with a View! (Subject to availability, but hey, it's worth a shot!)
- Early Check-in and Late Check-out! Because you deserve a little extra time to soak it all in.
- Bonus! Mention this review and receive a free bottle of Vermont-made maple syrup upon check-in. (Because, maple syrup!)
Why Choose Capitol Plaza Hotel Montpelier?
- The Location: Right in the heart of Montpelier, you're minutes from everything Vermont has to offer.
- The Comfort: Relax in clean, comfortable rooms with all the amenities you need.
- The Safety: Rest easy knowing the hotel prioritizes your safety and well-being.
- The Value: Get a great deal on your Vermont getaway.
- The Experience: Create lasting memories in the Green Mountain State.
Don't wait! This offer won't last forever. Book your dream Vermont getaway today!
P.S. I'm already planning my return trip. Maybe I'll finally get that massage… or maybe I'll just drink more coffee and write another rambling review. Either way, Vermont, here I come!
Florence, Italy: Hidden Gems & Unforgettable Experiences (NH Hotels)Okay, buckle up, buttercups! This isn't your pristine travel brochure itinerary. This is real life, Montpelier-style. And let's just say my inner travel editor threw up their hands and fled the scene…
The (Highly Subjective and Potentially Chaotic) Capitol Plaza Hotel, Montpelier, VT - Pilgrimage for the Weary Traveler
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Vermont Breakfast Quest
- Morning (9:00 AM -ish depending on the flight and my general inability to be on time): Land in Burlington (BTV). Praise be! Thank the travel gods (and maybe a little coffee) that the flight was mostly on time. Except, of course, for the guy loudly clipping his toenails two rows back. Shudder. Car Rental - a necessary evil. Pray the GPS doesn't lead me into a bog. My map-reading skills are, shall we say, rustic.
- Late Morning (Like, right around 11:30 AM?): The drive down to Montpelier. It's beautiful, I'll admit… if you can spot the beauty through the sheer terror of driving on unfamiliar roads. I will never understand why Vermonters seem to enjoy making the roads so narrow. Do they have a secret competition? And the foliage? Oh, the foliage. It's like a painting, except with a constant threat of a deer jumping out.
- Lunch (1:00 PM? Whatever. I'm hungry): My first mission: BREAKFAST. (Because, let's be real, airplane food is not a breakfast.) I’m going to hunt down that place everyone raves about, Kismet. It had better be good. I NEED fluffy pancakes and maple syrup that’ll make me weep with joy. Imagine: Me, sobbing joyfully into a stack of carbs, while the locals sip coffee and judge my pathetic attempts at a 'peaceful transition into Vermont life.'
- Afternoon (2:30 PM - maybe 3): Check into the Capitol Plaza Hotel. Hopefully, the room is clean, the bed doesn't sag, and the TV actually works. One time I almost broke character in a hotel to run away and go hiking in the desert. It's hard work being an actor. Now, I can't bring any guns in. Just a suitcase with some clothes. After the hotel check-in, I will probably wander around the downtown area, and hopefully find some cool shops that sell handcrafted goods and the like.
- Evening (6:00 PM -ish): Dinner at Three Penny Taproom. I've heard they have amazing burgers, which is code for "comfort food I desperately need". Hope the beer selection is good. Will probably fall asleep by 8:30, jet lag and all. If there's live music, even better. If the live music is polka…we may have a problem.
Day 2: Politics, Pints, and Potential Panic Attacks
- Morning (9:00 AM again, but this time with coffee!): I'm gonna try to be a "cultured traveler" (insert eye roll). Tour the Vermont State House. I'll try to look interested in the history and the politics (even though my brain usually melts when anyone mentions anything related to politics).
- Late Morning (Around 11:00 AM): A detour to a local farmers market. Because Vermont. I plan to purchase cheese. ALL the cheese! and maybe some apples. And I always tell myself "I'm going to make a lovely cheese plate for myself, a picnic of sorts! What a great idea!" and then, more often than not, it ends up in my stomach, immediately.
- Lunch (1:00 PM -ish): A return to the hotel for a quick bite of lunch.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM - 5:00 PM): The Craft Beer Scene. Okay, I'm making this the main event. THIS is what I came for, and this is where my stream of consciousness will really start to gush. First, The Alchemist Brewery. No, I'm not trekking to Stowe (too much driving!). I will see if nearby some local taproom sells their beer. Then, onto Zero Gravity Craft Brewery. This will involve extensive research of their beer offerings. Potential scenarios include: (a) I’m overwhelmed by choices and order a flight, resulting in a cascade of opinions. (b) I meet a seasoned beer aficionado and have to pretend I know things. (c) I manage to maintain an air of cool indifference while secretly reveling in every delicious sip.
- Evening (7:00 PM - hopefully not falling asleep): Dinner at J. Morgan. I am a sucker for decent food. I'm expecting nice dishes. I have been craving comfort food.
Day 3: Adventures in the Great Outdoors (Maybe… And Probably Not)
- Morning (9:00 AM… maybe 10:00 AM): (Deep breath). Hiking. Or… maybe not. I wanted to hike up Mount Hunger, but honestly, the thought of those steep trails is slightly terrifying. I might end up just driving around. If I actually move from the hotel room, I'm going to buy a map. Because a GPS in the woods is like a friend who tells you to jump off a cliff.
- Late Morning (11:00 AM -ish): If the hiking actually happens (miracles do happen), I'll reward myself with a massive brunch afterwards. If the hiking doesn't happen, I’ll have brunch anyway. Because brunch is the answer.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Attempt to find a quaint little antique shop. I'm not looking for anything specific, but I enjoy that process of discovery.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Farewell dinner. This is a big deal. I will find a nice restaurant and will try to not get too sentimental.
- Evening (8:00 PM) : pack, and sleep.
Day 4: Departure and the Post-Vacation Blues
- Morning (6:00 AM?): Cry. (Just kidding… mostly.) Pack. Double-check that I haven't left anything important (like my sanity).
- Early Morning (ish): Drive back to BTV, return the car (with the hope of avoiding extra fees).
- Mid-Morning: Flight home. Wave goodbye to Vermont. Start planning the next escape before the post-vacation blues fully set in.
Important Notes from the (Possibly Unhinged) Traveler:
- Pace Yourself: This is a suggestion. I reserve the right to change my mind at any given moment. Especially if there's a particularly tempting bakery involved.
- Embrace the Mess: Things will go wrong. I will get lost. I will probably wear the same outfit for two days straight. That's okay. Remember that the unexpected is the best part of travel.
- Real Food: I am easily tempted by anything delicious. Leave room for spontaneity.
- Be Kind: To yourself, to the locals, to the other tourists, and to the overly enthusiastic hotel staff. Everyone's just trying to live their lives.
- Most importantly: Have fun! Vermont, here I come! Or, rather, here I come, and I will probably make a mess, but I at least will try to enjoy it. Wish me luck!
Capitol Plaza Hotel Montpelier: Your Dream Vermont Getaway...Or Is It? Let's Spill the Tea!
Okay, so, is this place even *really* "Vermont"? Like, not just a tourist trap pretending to be?
Alright, let's be honest. My inner Vermont-snob was *slightly* skeptical. Montpelier is Vermont, obviously, but... hotels can be so generic. I pictured a lobby overflowing with pre-packaged "Vermonty" souvenirs (maple syrup shaped like… something). But, thankfully, *phew*, the Capitol Plaza Hotel feels authentically… Vermont. It's got that slightly worn, but loved, feeling. Like a favorite sweater. It’s not the Ritz, mind you. You're more likely to find a local politician grabbing a coffee at breakfast than a celebrity. And you know what? That’s kinda perfect. It *is* Vermont.
The Rooms! Are they… clean? And, you know, not falling apart?
Okay, the rooms. Here’s the thing: I am a *princess* when it comes to hotel rooms. I judge harshly. I inspect EVERYTHING. First impressions? Solid. Clean. Like, *really* clean. No mysterious stains on the carpet. The bed was comfy, which is crucial. My only tiny, tiny gripe? The wallpaper in my bathroom was a little… vintage. Not in a cool, retro way. More like, "This probably hasn't been touched since the Reagan administration" kind of vintage. But hey, it wasn't *dirty*, just… aged. And honestly, the hot water worked like a charm, which is all I really need at 7 am.
Food! Tell me about the food. Is it just, like, sad continental breakfast?
Listen, breakfast is a *big* deal to me. I *need* a decent breakfast to function. (I'm a very grumpy person before coffee and eggs). And the breakfast buffet? Not sad! Not sad at all. There were waffles (hallelujah!), fresh fruit, a solid selection of pastries, and, importantly, *plenty* of coffee. My personal highlight? The Vermont cheddar cheese. (Because, Vermont!) They also had a full restaurant for dinner, which I didn't try, mainly because I was too lazy to leave the hotel. I regret that decision, now I know I should have tried it.
What's the deal with the location? Is it easy to get around?
Montpelier is tiny, bless its heart. So, yes. Very easy to get around. The Capitol Plaza is right in the heart of things. You can walk to most of the shops, restaurants (besides mine), and, obviously, the State House (which is actually pretty cool and a good place to visit when you're bored). Parking? Usually fine, although I did have a minor moment of panic trying to squeeze my car into a tight spot. But hey, that's Vermont – things are a little more... rustic.
I heard rumblings about a pool... truth or dare?
Okay, the pool. This is where things get… complicated. Yeah, there's a pool. And a hot tub. And when you walk in, it feels like you've stepped back in time to a glorious 1980's YMCA with a disco ball. The pool area is a bit… dated. I'm not saying it's the most modern pool I've ever seen but I will say I didn't *hate* it. And the hot tub? It did the trick. I spent a glorious, solitary hour in there, just letting the jets pummel my stress away. The only downside? I think I may have seen a piece of... well, let's just say the pool area could use a little more attention to detail. But, again, it's Vermont! You can't expect perfection.
Let’s talk staff! Are they friendly? Do they know what they’re doing?
The staff? Absolutely lovely. Seriously. Like, Vermont-nice lovely. They seemed genuinely happy to help, which makes a HUGE difference. Check-in was a breeze. I asked a million questions about local hiking trails (I'm a bit clueless, let's be honest) and the front desk person was patient and helpful (bless her!). Even the housekeeping staff greeted me with a smile (which is saying something, considering I was probably a messy guest).
Okay, so, the big question: Would you go back?
Honestly? Yes. I would. It's not a perfect hotel, but it's got charm. It's comfortable. It's conveniently located. It's *Vermont*. I give it a solid B+. It's a great base for exploring the area, and it feels like a real place, not some corporate clone. Would I recommend it to *you*? Absolutely. Unless you're expecting the Four Seasons. If that's your vibe, then this isn't it. But if you're looking for a warm, friendly, and genuinely Vermont experience, the Capitol Plaza is a fantastic choice. Just... maybe pack your own pool sandals? (Just kidding… mostly.)