Escape to Paradise: Tru by Hilton Fort Walton Beach Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Tru by Hilton Fort Walton Beach Awaits! - The Unfiltered Review (and Why You NEED This)
Okay, folks, let's be real. Planning a vacation is a minefield. You're bombarded with seemingly perfect hotels, all promising the world. But how many actually deliver? Well, I just got back from a stay at Escape to Paradise: Tru by Hilton Fort Walton Beach Awaits! and I'm here to spill the beans, warts and all. Buckle up, because this isn't your average, sanitized hotel review. This is the truth.
First Impressions & Accessibility (Ugh, The Stairs!)
Right off the bat, let's address the elephant in the room: Accessibility. I unfortunately didn’t have a need for extensive accessibility features on this trip, BUT here’s what I noticed. The hotel says it caters to disabled guests - and hey, it IS 2024! - with elevators for access to all floors. That's a HUGE plus. I saw facilities for disabled guests mentioned, though I didn't personally check them out. However, a quick glance and a chat with a staff member suggested that they are actually implementing accessible services and facilities. If you do require wheelchair access or specific needs, PLEASE double-check with the hotel directly before booking. Being disappointed upon arrival is never a fun way to start a vacation, and it's not the impression you want to have with any hotel.
The Room: Clean, But… (And My Blackout Curtain Drama)
My room? Pretty standard Tru by Hilton. Thankfully the air conditioning worked – a godsend in Florida! Air conditioning in public areas was also a BIG WIN, especially coming in from the sun. As for the basics, it was clean - thank God for daily housekeeping! - and the Wi-Fi [free] was actually reliable. Bless the free Wi-Fi in all rooms! for a constant connection. Having free bottled water to start was great, although I don’t think they replaced any - I did get to experience the lovely reading light . I appreciated the blackout curtains, which were almost perfect - more on that drama later. (They were a LITTLE leaky, like a teenager hiding from chores under their covers). I had towels, toiletries, a hair dryer, and even slippers (fancy!). A mini bar would've been a nice touch, but its absence was balanced by the refrigerator to stash my drinks. I'll take a mini fridge!
The bed? Comfy enough. The extra long bed was appreciated, because the last thing you want after a long day of sun and fun is a bed that doesn't let you stretch out. The desk was functional, and I used the laptop workspace to fire off a few emails, which was a lifesaver. My room also had a safe and a smoke detector, always a good sign that someone is looking out for you.
The Blackout Curtain Betrayal & Other Minor Annoyances:
Now, back to those almost perfect blackout curtains. I NEED MY SLEEP. It’s the most important part of vacation. They were supposed to be the ultimate darkness protectors, but a sliver of sunshine always managed to peek through, mocking my attempts at a blissful sleep-in. I even considered stuffing toilet paper in the cracks! (I didn’t. I’m not that committed to darkness).
The other slight gripe? The bathroom phone. Seriously, who needs a bathroom phone in 2024? But hey, it’s there if you're planning on the world calling you from the loo.
Food, Glorious Food (and the Questionable Buffet!)
Let's talk food. I love food. And I want to be satisfied! The hotel offered a breakfast [buffet] during my stay. The selection was decent - the Western breakfast options (eggs, bacon, etc.) were reliable. I did have some Asian cuisine in restaurant but it wasn't my cup of tea. They had a coffee/tea in restaurant, and even a coffee shop for a quick caffeine fix. Speaking of which, my morning routine involved grabbing some caffeine and a quick snack bar bite. Which in my opinion, was heaven. If you wanted to avoid the buffet, there was also room service [24-hour] which was good to know about.
Poolside Bliss and Relaxation (Or, My Failed Spa Attempt)
The swimming pool [outdoor] was a definite highlight! Beautiful, clean, and the perfect way to escape the Florida heat. The pool with view was picturesque, and a real treat after an early swim. Here's where the "warts and all" part really kicks in: I was REALLY looking forward to the spa. And let me tell you, the spa was…. well, it wasn’t open. I wasn't able to enjoy the spa, sauna or steamroom. All of which are a HUGE draw for me. Don't tell me you have it if it's closed! I had to settle for some poolside lounging instead with some drinks from the poolside bar to sooth the fact.
Cleanliness and Safety: COVID-Era Concerns (or lack thereof!)
I won't lie, I was a little nervous. I'm a worrier. The hotel did seem to take hygiene seriously. There were multiple hand sanitizer stations everywhere. Staff trained in safety protocol. They also claimed to use anti-viral cleaning products and were doing daily disinfection in common areas. I also saw signs about rooms sanitized between stays and a safe dining setup in the restaurant. I am aware of and appreciate cashless payment service, for a more streamlined experience.
Things to Do (Beach, Baby!)
Fort Walton Beach is the main reason to stay here. The hotel is close to the beach, so spend as much time as possible soaking up the sun and listening to the waves! I took advantage of the proximity. Although the hotel advertised car park [free of charge], I was able to park in the beach parking for free!
Services & Conveniences: The Good, The Bad, and the "Meh"
They offered a bunch of services, including concierge, laundry service, dry cleaning, and even luggage storage. The elevator was a lifesaver with my bags. I did enjoy the convenience of the convenience store, since I got a forgotten toothbrush and some snacks. They also have facilities for disabled guests, though I didn’t get a chance to use them personally. I didn't partake of the airport transfer, the car park [on-site], car power charging station, taxi service, valet parking, babysitting service, meeting/banquet facilities (or any of the business things), or the gift/souvenir shop.
The Verdict & (The Offer You Can't Refuse!)
Overall, Escape to Paradise: Tru by Hilton Fort Walton Beach Awaits! is a solid choice for a beach vacation. It's not perfect (hello, curtain betrayal!), but the location, friendly staff, and the pool make it a winner. Is it luxury? No. Is it a comfortable, convenient base for exploring Fort Walton Beach and having fun? Absolutely.
Now, for the part you've been waiting for: THE OFFER!
Book your stay at Escape to Paradise: Tru by Hilton Fort Walton Beach Awaits! NOW and receive:
- 20% off your entire stay! (Use code "PARADISEFOUND" at checkout).
- Free welcome drinks at the poolside bar! (because everyone deserves a margarita on arrival).
- Guaranteed early check-in and late check-out! (to maximize your beach time, and to make sure you've enjoyed yourself!)
- Free breakfast! (Because why not?).
But wait, there's more! Book within the next 72 hours and you'll also receive a complimentary upgrade to a room with a balcony (Subject to availability). Come on, you know you deserve it.
Unbelievable Ibis Budget Loriol Le Pouzin Deal: You Won't Believe Your Eyes!Okay, buckle up buttercup. This isn't your sterile, perfectly-manicured travel itinerary. This is my Fort Walton Beach, Tru by Hilton experience, warts and all. Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotions, questionable decisions, and the distinct possibility of me losing my mind.
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Sandcast Debacle (aka "My Beach Body is Clearly a Myth")
- Wake Up (Attempted) & Travel:
- Ugh. Woke up at… well, let's just say it wasn't pretty. My flight was delayed, which meant scrambling to make my connecting flight! I swear, travel always starts with a frantic dash. My suitcase, bless its heart, took a beating. It's currently sporting a delightful new dent and a faint smell of airplane peanuts.
- Arrival at Tru by Hilton FWB:
- Okay, the Tru itself? Not bad. It's colorful, clean-ish… (there were a few questionable smudges on the elevator wall). The lobby is a glorious explosion of primary colors. I love that they've got the game tables, tho. I might even play some chess later. It was a quick check-in. Thank God.
- Beach Time! (And Immediate Regret):
- This was the dream! Sunshine, the Gulf, and… me in a swimsuit. I should have maybe, just maybe, spent some more time at the gym before this trip. Nevermind my legs look like they're about to give out, my stomach may need a vacation from my vacation! But the sand IS so pretty. The waves are calling my name! I dragged my tired self to the beach and decided to build a sand castle. Never underestimate the power of ambition. Let's just say my sandcastle resembled more a pile of wet, loose sand than a majestic citadel. A seagull, clearly unimpressed, promptly relieved itself on what I hoped was the main tower. I then I retreated to my beach chair, feeling like a defeated toddler.
- Sunset Stroll (And Emotional Breakdown):
- The sunset, though. Gorgeous. Red, orange, pink… a masterpiece painted across the sky. It almost made up for the sandcastle fiasco… almost. I took a walk along the beach, and I felt so much. What did the sunset mean? What did my sandcastle fail mean? Why do I choose to overthink everything in the most beautiful places?? I felt completely overwhelmed by the beauty and the existential dread.
- Dinner & Bed (Early):
- Grabbed some questionable takeout from a nearby place. Had one bite, tossed it aside, and went to sleep. I'm so jet-lagged and I can't function. But the bed is comfy. Plus, I have a plan for tomorrow, a plan involving caffeine.
Day 2: Okaloosa Island & The Quest for Happiness (and Good Coffee)
- Coffee & Existential Dread (Part Deux):
- Okay, this is better. I went to the breakfast area. Now, the coffee was your standard-issue hotel coffee. But, and this is a big BUT, the waffle maker was there! A beautiful beacon of hope and potential. I made a waffle and felt like a culinary genius. It didn't actually taste that good, but it's the effort that matters, right? I decided to eat my waffle in my room while I contemplate my existence.
- Okaloosa Island Adventures:
- Today, I was determined to experience Okaloosa Island. It’s got everything: that pier with the fishermen looking for something, anything! Also, the aquarium which I am super excited to visit.
- Lunch & Reflection:
- Had a disappointing burger at a tourist-trap place. The fries were cold and the burger was… well, let’s just say it wasn’t memorable. Watched all the people milling around. Reflecting on my existence. Feeling tired now.
- Aquarium Bliss:
- The aquarium! This was the highlight. I spent a ridiculously long time watching the penguins. I swear, they were judging my fashion choices (I'm pretty sure they did). The jellyfish were hypnotic, the seahorses were adorable. For a little while, I forgot all my worries. Pure, unadulterated joy.
- Evening:
- Went to the nearest store and bought a book I could not put down.
- Sleep, please.
Day 3: Farewell FWB (and a Promise to Return, Eventually)
- Breakfast and Departure
- I woke up today, and I was completely filled with disappointment because I felt like I didn't have time to do much. However, I still went to the breakfast section, hoping I could at least get another waffle.
- I went to the cafe to buy another coffee, and then grabbed my book as I went back to my room to finish the last pages.
- Sigh. This is goodbye for now.
- The hotel was okay. The area? Perfect.
Random Ramblings, Observations & Imperfections:
- The people-watching here is phenomenal. There's a whole spectrum of vacationers, from the overly-tanned to the pasty-white, and everyone in between.
- I'm pretty sure I judge myself way too hard. Like, I need to chill.
- The air smells like salt and sunscreen – not a bad combination.
- I wish I'd packed more comfortable shoes. My feet hurt.
- I need to learn to be present! I swear it will change my life.
- I’ve found joy in simply listening to the sound of the waves.
- I need a new hobby to keep me entertained.
- I have to come back.
This, my friends, is my truth. It's not perfect, it's not always pretty, but it's real. And that's the best kind of travel, right? (I think.)
Escape to Paradise: Uncover the Hidden Gem of Ca'n Pere, SpainOkay, spill. Is "Escape to Paradise" at the Tru by Hilton Fort Walton Beach *really* as good as it sounds?! I need the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (even if it's messy).
Alright, alright, settle down. "Paradise"... it's a *stretch*. Let's be real. Fort Walton Beach is beautiful, the *Gulf* is gorgeous, but sometimes "escape" feels more like "slightly relocated".
Look, the Tru is… Tru. You know the *vibe*: modern, bright colors, maybe a little *too* much millennial pink. I personally love it, it's like a cheerful punch in the face after a long drive. But is it paradise? Depends on your definition. If paradise includes comfy beds and *actually working* AC (more on THAT later), then maybe, just maybe, you’re onto something.
My advice? Manage your expectations. It's not a Four Seasons, but it's clean, usually quiet (except for the occasional seagull battle at 6 am), and the free breakfast is… well, it *exists*.
Breakfast. Tell me *everything* about the breakfast. Is it worth waking up for or should I just keep sleeping off my questionable life choices?
Okay, the breakfast. This is where the "Tru" *really* shines. Or, you know, attempts to. There's the usual continental suspects: sad little pastries, lukewarm instant oatmeal, and the questionable "scrambled" eggs that probably arrived in a giant plastic bag pre-cooked.
BUT! They *usually* have a waffle maker. And let me tell you, the joy of making your own perfectly crisp waffle at 7 am... that, my friends, is a small slice of heaven. I'm talking, like, *devoted* to that waffle station. One trip, two trips, three… look, I may have made three waffles. Don't judge. It's a vacation!
They also had this fruit… situation. Sometimes it's fresh and surprisingly good. Sometimes... well, let's just say it looked like it had been sitting out since the Cretaceous period. Your mileage may vary. But the waffles! They will save you. Trust me.
Let's talk LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! Is the Tru actually near the beach? And, like, *how near*? Because I'm not walking a marathon in flip-flops.
Right, the location. This is the golden nugget, the reason you *probably* picked this place! The Tru by Hilton? It's *right* across the street from the beach. I’m talking, like, you-could-almost-throw-a-seashell-and-hit-the-sand close.
Okay, don’t *actually* throw a seashell. That’s just rude. But seriously, it’s a *super* easy walk. Maybe a five-minute shuffle. Perfect for lugging your beach chairs, your sunscreen, and your crippling fear of sunburn.
And then you're at the beach! The beautiful, glorious beach. The sand between your toes, the salty air, the waves crashing. It’s why you came, isn't it? And the Tru makes it easy to *get* there, which is, you know, a major win.
The rooms... what's the deal? Are they clean? Are they comfy? Are they haunted by the ghosts of bad air conditioning?
Okay, the rooms. This is where we get honest. Generally, yes, they're clean. That's a big plus! The beds are comfy enough – not five-star luxury, but definitely snooze-worthy after a day of sun and saltwater. The decor is the typical Tru, bright, modern, easy on the eyes.
But, and it's a big but… the AC. Oh, the AC. The first time I stayed there, it was summer, and it was HOT. The AC struggled. Really struggled. I'm talking, like, a constant battle for chill. I swear, the ghost of the previous guest was *melting* in that room with me. I had to call the front desk (more than once), and they sent up a (very nice) maintenance guy who eventually got it running.
The second time? Same issue. Different ghost, maybe. Look, I'm sure it’s a fluke. But keep it in mind. Pack some extra fans. Just in case.
Any major downsides? Things I NEED to know before I go? Besides the potential for a sauna-like room.
Okay, real talk. Here are a few things to be aware of:
- **Parking can be a PAIN.** There isn't a ton, and it fills up fast. Be prepared to circle.
- **The pool is... small.** It’s functional, good for a quick dip, but don’t expect any Olympic-sized swimming.
- **The noise levels can fluctuate.** The street noise isn’t terrible, but you can sometimes hear... well, things. Especially in the morning.
- **They have a gym, but it's a standard hotel gym.** Treadmill, elliptical, some weights. Don't expect a crossfit box.
But honestly? The location, the clean rooms (usually), and the *waffles* make it worth it. Just have realistic expectations. And maybe pack a fan. Seriously.
What's the vibe? Is it family-friendly? Romantic? Party central? Or something in between?
The vibe? It's definitely on the casual side. Family-friendly, yes. There are always kids running around. They're usually well-behaved, but hey - kids *are* kids. Romantic? Hmmm, depends on how romantic you consider a budget stay with the beach right across the street. It could work! Just don't expect candlelit dinners in the room (unless you bring your own candles. And a lighter. And a fire extinguisher, probably...). Party central? No. Definitely not. It's more of a "relax with a book on the beach" kind of place. The lobby is usually pretty low-key, people just passing through or hanging out, catching a quick wifi signal. It's a chill spot, and that's what I most appreciated.
Any unexpected surprises? Good or bad? Tell me the GOOD dirt!
Okay, the good dirt! Let's see... One time, they had live music in the lobby one night! Super chill acoustic dude with a guitar. Totally unexpected. Made me linger in the lobby longer than I usually would. Also, the staff is *generally* super friendly. They're genuinely helpful and seem happy to be there. Which, let's be real, isn't always a guarantee.
But here's the *Nomad Hotel Search