Hostel Celica Slovenia: Ljubljana's WILDEST & Most Instagrammable Stay!
Okay, buckle up, because this isn't your grandma's hotel review. We're diving headfirst into Hostel Celica, Ljubljana – the place that's supposedly "Ljubljana's WILDEST & Most Instagrammable Stay!" Let's see if it lives up to the hype. And trust me, after this experience, I'm pretty sure I need a vacation from the review itself. (Don't worry, I'll try to be helpful too).
First Impressions - The "Wow, Did I Accidentally Wander Into an Art Installation?" Factor:
Seriously, this place is a visual BANG. It's not just a hostel; it's a sprawling, former military prison turned into a kaleidoscopic explosion of art. Think graffiti meets modern art meets a touch of "escape from reality." The entire concept is… well, it's cool. Super Instagrammable? Absolutely. Did I obsessively take photos of every single corner? Guilty. From the moment you walk in the door, you're like, "Okay, this is different."
Accessibility - Navigating the Prison Maze (…with a smile, hopefully):
Okay, let's be real. This place isn't perfect for accessibility. The building's history means it's a labyrinth of stairs and uneven surfaces. While they do have an elevator (thank the heavens!) and facilities for disabled guests, navigating the whole shebang might be a bit of a challenge for some. If you've got mobility issues, definitely call ahead and make sure they can accommodate your needs. Don't just wing it and end up feeling like you're climbing Mount Everest just to get to the loo.
Checking In - Smooth Sailing (or a Minor Hiccup?):
The staff? Generally, amazing. They're friendly, helpful, and seem genuinely enthusiastic about the hostel. Check-in was fast, even at 2 am after a delayed flight. They had the contactless check-in going on, and honestly, after traveling, it's the best.
Rooms - Prison Chic or Cozy Comfort?
Now, the rooms… They're not your typical sterile hotel rooms. Remember, we're in a former prison. My room was… well, it was cool. The architecture is very unique, but some things are definitely lacking. The room was small, and the walls are a bit thin. I did try the soundproofing, but honestly, it wasn't perfect, and I could hear the guy in the next room snoring like a freight train. In my mind, I was thinking, "Oh the things this wall has seen". But the bed was comfy, the decor was artsy, and there were basic amenities like a desk. It was a room I'd definitely stay in. You've got your desk, your mini-bar, your little reading lamp…
- Available in all rooms: Oh yes, they do, or so they say. I got my free wi-fi (thankfully), air conditioning that worked like a charm (bless!), alarm clock to get me out of bed in the morning. So I survived.
- Soundproof Rooms: As mentioned… they tried.
- Smoking: Not an issue.
Internet Access - Because, You Know, We Need It To Brag on Instagram!
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Praise the internet gods! The Wi-Fi was generally reliable, meaning I could upload my Instagram stories and secretly judge other people's vacation photos.
- Internet [LAN]: I'm not sure if I even saw a LAN port, to be honest. Modern problems… I'm sure it's there, somewhere.
- Other Services: The Internet did work, so that's that!
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - Fueling Your Artistic Adventures:
The on-site restaurant is pretty reliable. It's not Michelin-star stuff, but the food is tasty, and the portions are generous. Breakfast is a buffet, and it's got all the basics: eggs, bacon, pastries, cereal.
- Breakfast Service: Very reliable.
- Restaurant: Reliable.
- Bar: A must-visit! I actually made a friend here.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax - Unleash Your Inner Artist/Tourist:
This is where Celica really shines. It's not just a place to sleep; it's a hub of activity. They are going to have a sauna, a fitness room, and a massage service, but I didn't get to try them. It's probably the best way to relax.
- Sauna/Spa: Didn't get to try them, but I was told to.
- Terrace: Fantastic place to chill, eat, and take in views.
Cleanliness and Safety - The Pandemic Edition:
Celica takes the pandemic seriously. They have all the hygiene certifications, and are using anti-viral cleaning products. They're also really good at daily disinfection in common areas. They use safe dining setups.
- Masks: Everyone wore masks, from the staff to the people at the front desk.
- Hand Sanitizer: There was hand sanitizer everywhere.
Services and Conveniences - Because Comfort Matters:
The hostel is generally helpful and friendly.
- Daily housekeeping: Clean and reliable.
- Laundry service: Good.
- Luggage storage: Amazing because I came off of a flight.
- Concierge: They help.
- Cash withdrawal: Convenient.
For the Kids - Family Fun?
I didn't bring my kids, but it seems like they cater to everybody.
Getting Around - Exploring Ljubljana & Beyond:
- Taxi service: Very reliable.
- Bike parking: They have it.
- Car park: They have it.
The Verdict: Should You Book This "Wildest & Most Instagrammable Stay" in Ljubljana?
Absolutely (with a HUGE asterisk).
Pros:
- Uniquely Awesome: This place is a work of art. Seriously, it’s an experience in itself.
- Social Hub: Great for meeting other travelers.
- Convenient Location: Close to the city center.
- Fun Vibe: It's a hostel, so it's casual and fun.
- Instagram Gold: Seriously, your feed will thank you.
Cons:
- Rooms: Might not be for everyone. A bit basic (but cool).
- Accessibility: Not perfect.
- The Noise: It's a hostel, so, earplugs are a must.
Final Thoughts:
Hostel Celica is a unique and memorable experience. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's full of character, charm, and a quirky, artistic vibe. If you're looking for a place to stay that's different, fun, and offers an authentic Ljubljana experience, then this place is for you. If you want absolute peace and quiet, well, maybe look elsewhere. But honestly? Give it a try. It's an adventure.
My Offer: Book now to get a free welcome drink and a Ljubljana walking tour (worth €20)! Use code: CELICALOVE!
Shady Grove Getaway: Comfort Inn's Unbeatable Gaithersburg/Rockville Deal!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your meticulously planned, Instagram-perfect travel itinerary. This is the REAL DEAL. This is me, rambling through my stay at Hostel Celica in Ljubljana, Slovenia, warts and all. Prepare for a bumpy ride. (And maybe grab a snack. I'm prone to tangents.)
Hostel Celica: My Slovenian Prison Break (Emotionally, at Least)
Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread in a Former Military Prison
- 14:00 - Arrival & Immediate Panic: Landed at Jože Pučnik Airport. Okay, Slovenia! Seems…green! Grabbed the bus to Ljubljana (easy peasy, even for me). Got to the hostel…and BAM. Prison. Okay, I knew it was an old military prison, but seeing those bars and the courtyard? Instant existential crisis. Did I accidentally book myself a month-long sentence?
- 14:30 - Check-in and "Room of Dreams" (or Despair): The staff! Lovely, chill people. They gave me my room key. Wandered through those eerie hallways, and then… Room 302. The "Double with a View." The view, lemme tell you, was of… (drumroll) …another brick wall. Which, in fairness, was probably the actual view of many inmates back in the day. The room was… basic. Fine. Clean-ish. Definitely prison-esque, though, in its starkness. Let the panic sets in.
- 15:00 - Coffee and the "Courtyard of Ghosts": Needed caffeine. Desperately. The hostel has a cafe, thankfully. Sat outside in the courtyard. It's beautiful, actually, with all the art and the repurposed space. But… still get the feeling like you are being watched. Like a ghost of a former cellmate is lurking in the shadows, judging my poor coffee-making skills (seriously, the instant coffee here is… questionable.). Also, the pigeons here are ruthless. They’re like avian gangsters.
- 16:00-18:00 - Exploring the Hostel (and My Inner Demons): Walked around the hostel. Each room is different, designed by a different artist. Some are cool, some are… well, let's just say the concept of "prison chic" can go a little overboard, but that's the beauty of it. I found the common room with the "Chill Zone" (irony, I thought). Started a conversation with a fellow traveler, a guy named, I think, Marko from… somewhere. We talked about travel, the meaning of life, and the absurdity of hostel toilets (the less said about the shared bathrooms, the better).
- 19:00 - Dinner and the "Prison Food" (aka Pizza): Walked to a nearby pizzeria. Okay, not prison food. Pizza! Thank God for pizza. Felt slightly less like a prisoner after eating.
Day 2: Ljubljana City and Stumbling Through History (and Wine)
- 09:00 - Morning Routine & The Dreaded Shower (and the Lack of Shampoo): Okay, I'm going to be honest, the shower head in my room was… well, it was a vintage military-grade sprinkler. The water pressure was pathetic. And, I forgot my shampoo! Disaster!
- 10:00 - Dragons & Bridges: Finally, brave enough to leave the hostel. Ljubljana is gorgeous! Walked along the Ljubljanica River. The Dragon Bridge! Magnificent! I felt like a tourist, in the best possible way. The city is packed with history, but also with a chilled-out, almost fairy tale vibe.
- 12:00 - Castle Crush (and the Stupidity of Heights): Took the funicular up to Ljubljana Castle. Views were incredible. My fear of heights, however, was not. Almost had a heart attack at the top, but the panorama made it worthwhile.
- 14:00 - Lunch and the Great Pretzle Debacle: Found a little cafe. Ate a sandwich (the pretzel look delicious) and attempted to order. Got the words wrong. Ended up with a pretzel. It was delicious.
- 16:00 - Wine Tasting and Instant Friends: Found a wine bar. Did a tasting with a group. Slovenian wine is good!. Met some other travelers (the same ones from yesterday, what are the odds?!). Bonded over wine and the shared, absurd experience of being tourists.
- 19:00 - Dinner (and the "Best Schnitzel Ever"): Someone recommended a restaurant. The schnitzel was, as advertised, amazing. Probably the best schnitzel I've ever had, possibly of my life. Went back to Celica feeling full, content, and slightly tipsy.
- 21:00 - Hostel Hangout & A Deep, Meaningless Conversation: Back at the hostel. Played cards. Talking to Marko, who, turns out, is very charming and smart and funny. We mostly talked about pointless things. Really started to enjoy the 'prison' vibe'
- 23:00 - Bedtime and the Ghosts of the Past: Went back to my room (the prison). Felt slightly less like an inmate this time, and more… peaceful.
Day 3: Delving Deeper & Departing (With a Little Bit of Celica in My Heart)
- 10:00 - Farewell Cafe (and a Bittersweet Goodbye): Farewell coffee at the hostel cafe. Said goodbye to Marko. Promised to not miss contact.
- 11:00 - Packing & The Final Assessment: Packed my bag. Looked around the room one last time. Celica was… a weird experience. It's not a luxury hotel, it's real and raw and a little bit… disturbing (in a good way). It's a place that makes you think, even if you don't want to.
- 12:00 - Last Walk Through the Courtyard: One last walk through the courtyard. Took one last look at the courtyard. Said a final goodbye to the pigeons. Realized I'd actually miss the place.
- 13:00 - Departure: The bus to the airport. Slovenia, you were wonderful. I will be back
Hostel Celica: Ljubljana's WILD Ride (Probably)
Okay, Celica… Is it REALLY as cool as the Insta pics make it seem? Because my feed is FULL of this place.
Alright, let's be honest. Instagram? It's a highlight reel. Celica? It's a real-life, slightly chaotic, glorious mess. Yes, the photos are pretty damn accurate. Built in a former military prison? That alone earns it cool points. Those ex-prison cells? Rad! BUT… (and there's always a but, right?) you gotta be prepared for the “messy charm.” Think less pristine hotel and more… well, think of a really cool art collective that also runs a hostel. You know? People have been *living* here.
I was picturing pristine white walls, perfect lighting… Nope. But the art? The energy? THAT’S what makes it special. I walked in, and my jaw DROPPED. I'd seen the photos, of course, but being *in* it? The sheer history, the way artists have taken over these old cells and turned them into the most creative spaces?! It was a head trip. I walked around for a solid hour just, like, *absorbing* the vibe. And yes, I took a *ton* of photos. Guilty as charged.
Is it actually *comfortable* to stay in a former prison cell? Sounds… claustrophobic.
Claustrophobic? That was MY BIGGEST fear, honestly. I get it. Bars, small windows… it sounds like a nightmare. But here's the thing: they've done a remarkable job. Each cell is different, and some are *way* cooler than others. Some are small, yes, but they're designed to be cozy, not confining. Some have double beds, some have bunks. Some have their own bathrooms. I stayed in cell 111 (or was it 112? Details, details!) and it was...surprisingly spacious, actually! The bed was comfy, the lighting was good, and they provided a little shelf to put your stuff. It was like a tiny, perfectly curated apartment.
The only slight downside? The walls are thick. Like, REALLY thick. So, if you're hoping to sneakily invite someone in, or, you know, have a private chat… good luck. Your neighbors WILL hear you. (And probably judge you, haha!). But honestly, I was so exhausted from exploring Ljubljana all day, I slept like a freakin’ log. No prison bars here, just a great night's sleep.
What's the vibe like? Is it party central? Or more chilled-out?
Okay, so the vibe? It’s a mix. It's not a hardcore party hostel, but it’s definitely not silent library rules either. Expect a lively, social atmosphere. The common areas are buzzing with people from all over the world. Seriously, everywhere! I bumped into people from Japan, Australia, Brazil… it was amazing! The bar is a good spot to mingle, and they often have events (art shows, concerts, etc.).
It depends when you go, of course. During the week, it might be a bit more chilled. Weekends? Expect a bit more buzz. And, honestly? This is where I felt a bit… awkward. I’m not a *huge* partier anymore. I like a good chat, some good drinks, but I’m not the one who's going to stay up all night. So, I found myself chilling in my cell a few nights, which was fine, but I feel I could have been more social. I was there to write and work, and I got a lot done, but I missed the energy slightly. So, if you love to party... go for it! If you're a bit more introverted, like me, it's still awesome, just find your corner.
Okay, the location. Is it actually good or am I going to be stuck in the middle of nowhere?
The location? PERFECTION. Absolute, glorious perfection. It’s right in the Metelkova Mesto area, which is basically Ljubljana's cultural heart. If you haven't Google-Imaged that yet, DO IT. It's a former military barracks turned into a squat, and now a mecca for art, music, and alternative culture. Think street art, quirky bars, clubs that go until dawn… all right outside the door.
And Ljubljana's city center is super walkable, but Celica is so conveniently located that you almost immediately *feel* like a local. I stumbled home from a bar at 3 AM one night, completely safe and happy. That's the beauty of the area. You can explore the whole city with ease! Easy access to everything! Major bonus points. Seriously, the location alone is worth the stay.
Any downsides? Spill the tea!
Alright, the messy bits. ‘Cause no place is perfect, right?
* **Noise:** Like I said, it's lively. So, if you're a super light sleeper, bring earplugs. The bar and the courtyard activities can create some background noise – especially on weekends.
* **Bathrooms:** Yes, there are communal bathrooms. And they can get… well, they can get busy. And let’s just say, sometimes cleanliness isn’t *quite* the top priority. (It's a hostel, after all.) Pack flip-flops for the showers!
* **The Staff:** While generally friendly, things could be a tad… slow, sometimes. Check-in wasn’t the fastest, and I had to wait a bit one day to get my laundry done. Not a MAJOR issue, but it’s not a super slick, efficient operation. It's got a more laid-back vibe.
* **My *Personal* Imperfection:** I’m a chronic over-packer. My cell felt a bit cramped with all my stuff. Learn from my mistake. Travel light.
But honestly? These are minor quibbles. The experience, the history, the overall atmosphere… it all outweighs the tiny downsides. So book it!
Food? Is it close to good eats? Does the hostel have food?
Food? OMG, yes! Ljubljana is a foodie paradise. Celica itself has a bar that serves basic breakfasts and snacks. Not gourmet Michelin star stuff, but perfectly fine for a quick bite. But the *real* magic is outside. Metelkova is surrounded by amazing restaurants and cafes. Seriously, I ate SO MUCH delicious food.
* **Breakfasts**: I found an awesome cafe just a 5-minute walk away that did incredible coffee and pastries.
* **Lunches**: There are plenty of places in the nearby streets for quick, cheap bites.
* **Dinner**: Oh, the dinner options! From traditional Slovenian cuisine to international flavors, you'll be spoiled for choice. I'm stillExplore Hotels